Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spiders

I have seen about a spider per day since I moved into my townhouse, and it's been driving me near mad. So I did some internet research this week to find out what I was dealing with, since pest control is not a realistic option here in Ireland. I found out a couple of important things as I scoured the web: 1) there are no poisonous spiders in Ireland (not sure I believe that yet, but it WAS slightly comforting); and 2) it is bad luck to kill a spider. Considering I have killed every one that I've been able to get to since I've been here, I figure I have enough bad luck to last a while. This might explain some of the mishaps in Rome? Soooo... I have decided to cease and desist with the arachnocide and begin mending my luck. Therefore, tonight I saw the first spider since my decision was made (Monday) and I put a jar on him, let him crawl in, then threw him outside. I didn't feel any luckier. Maybe just a little more like a hippy. I am happy to keep up the effort, but if I find one crawling on me anywhere, I may not end up so lucky. He won't be lucky so much either.

2 comments:

Beth Whitehill said...

I say kill those bad boys...I am not a spider fan, poisonous or not!!

Unknown said...

May the Luck of the Irish be on ya! And I believe that it already is, a year ago you had no idea you would be living in Dublin or traveling to Rome or visiting the ruins or having a pint (or many) with the locals. You are lucky already.