Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Morning

It is bright and beautiful outside right now... I just checked weather.com and it forecasted rain all day, so we'll see how long the sunshine lasts. It has been warmer. I didn't really need the heat on last night. I spent the whole day in yesterday catching up on laundry, as I had strayed a bit from my every-other-day schedule. This week I'll get back in the routine.
On Friday I went to an Australian pub called the Wool Shed (Sports Baa and Grill) on Parnell Street with some folks from work. We were there for ANZAC Day with one of our Australian co-workers. Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. The acronym, ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs. About half an hour after we got there, they asked for silence while the national anthems were sung and poems about remembering the lives lost in that battle were read. Afterward there was a long moment of silence. It was pretty moving, and I saw some misty eyes in the place. When the silence ended, some Australians rolled out a mat and began placing bets on coin tosses, which is a traditional game on Anzac Day. It's said to be one of the most important days for Aussies and New Zealanders alike. We all had fun at the baa. I was glad to have shared the evening with many Australians and New Zealanders. It was nice to see how seriously they take the day.
I've been looking into traveling a bit, but it's so expensive. Looks like a trip will run me about €500 for a flight and hotel for 3 or 4 nights. I looked at Rome and Salzburg - both look like gorgeous places rich with history. I am having trouble deciding! I had hoped to take a trip sometime in May since our go-live date was postponed to June 1. It would be a good time since the temperatures won't have risen too high for my comfort level. I will be deciding within the next few days and will include an update in the blog.
That's all for now. Enjoy the week!

No comments: