Saturday, February 27, 2010

Back in the USA

Well, it's been a week since I got back to Florida. The house is looking better, and I've accomplished some minor stuff during the week and even more this weekend. Still need to drop some things off at Goodwill and take some books to the used book shop, but it's looking better. The shed in my back yard now has a ramp that doesn't break and crack when I walk on it, thanks to my brother and father and nephew, who showed up at my front door like the cavalry this morning. While they were working on that, I worked on the front porch, which looks a wee bit better now. I had to scrape a squished lizard off the tiles with a spade, but it's gone and the place is looking better. Tomorrow I hope to spend an hour or two straightening up the laundry room, which is a collection of badly placed hodge-podge items with no home.

All these things I've needed to do have kept me busy so that I'm not missing Dublin as much as I thought I would. I worry about not having things to do but luckily, as a homeowner, there are usually a lot of tasks to keep a body occupied. Spring will be here soon and there will be yard work galore - lizards and spiders and snakes, oh my. I'll remember why I liked Ireland so much when I see my first snake I'm sure. Ew!

I am pleasantly surprised to be doing as well as I am so far, and even feel happy sometimes. Not so much during morning and afternoon rush-hour driving, but being near lots of friends and family is really nice. It sure is a different lifestyle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

JLW-Although you don't know me, I welcome you back to the US. Your blog helped my wife and me decide to visit Dublin for our honeymoon. You were so right on about the people. They are AMAZING! I wish you all the best! Mark from Texas