Monday, November 10, 2008

Free Bus Trickery

Today I woke up early to take the first bus to work, and I made my way to the bus stop in the freezing, gusting wind. Our bus is wrapped in a Vodafone ad (the whole bus is an ad) that is bright red and very easy to spot as it approaches the stop. My friend Lee was there waiting already and we started chit-chatting away about his trip to Howth yesterday. Howth is just north of Dublin. He and his wife saw a seal!! So I was listening to his story about the seal and he looked over at the curb and turned back to me and said, "Sorry, I thought that was our bus." But it wasn't red. So I looked over at it and noticed a Vodafone logo on the side and just in time to see it pulling away, noticed that YES! It was indeed our bus. I guess they re-wrapped the bus in a Christmas theme and it looks nothing like it did when it was wrapped in red. So we missed the bus and had to wait for the next one to come by half an hour later. Of course this couldn't have happened on a milder day. The wind was at an all-time high and it felt so polar!! I bet that psycho bus driver was laughing at us as he pulled away. We call him Mr. Happy because he is the grumpiest person on earth. I am afraid of him. My bus stop is just before a giant s-shaped curve and as soon as the last person's foot is in the door he slams it closed and races around that curve, I think hoping that someone sustains an injury before getting safely to his or her seat. I have seen it almost happen quite a few times. We call the other bus driver Red, because he's a jolly fellow with red hair. But we do kind of make fun of him too, because he calls out "See-uh-laaahr" when we get off the bus. For weeks I didn't know what he was saying, but it sounded friendly enough so I didn't ask right away what he was saying. Then one day I asked someone and it turns out he's saying "see you later!" I love this country. I never get tired of the experiences.

No comments: