Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Trip to Eason's

My friend Janelle invited me to meet her at the Eason's on O'Connell Street just after noon today. She was going to have a book by Sarah Ferguson signed for her niece for a Christmas gift. So I got ready and as I put my jeans on I found €15 in my pocket! Happily, I walked out the front door and noticed frost all over the ground. Let me remind you - it was around noon!



I walked up to the bus stop in the bright sunshine and blue skies and thought 'what a great day!' It was super-cold, but so pretty outside. I had almost arrived at the bus stop when the 46A pulled up. My bus! No waiting! A miracle.
I got off the bus on O'Connell Street and walked into Eason's. The crowd in the store was thick and swarming around one particular spot in the middle of the store. Janelle called and I asked where she was and made a comment about the crowd and that even a television camera was there. She said, 'Well, it's the Duchess of York!" I felt so stupid. Before, I thought she was just talking about some Irish author and didn't make the connection. Sarah Ferguson - the Duchess of York! The original Fergie! (Not the Black Eyed Pea.)



I found them at the very end of a line for the signing. We waited for over an hour and there were several times we didn't think we'd get the book signed, because slowly we discovered the sad facts: she was leaving at 2, she was no longer taking photos, she was no longer writing dedications (only signing), then there was the fact that the line was barely moving.



However, good luck prevailed and we made it to the real Fergie. She was very nice, and since Janelle's niece's name is Ruby and the book is called Tea for Ruby, she dedicated it, signed it and smiled for a picture. Check her out!

No comments: