Sunday, September 14, 2008

Beautiful Vienna

I'm back from the insanely gorgeous Vienna, Austria. I couldn't believe how pretty the city is. I had a great time, despite fighting a cold and some bizarre knee issues (only at night while trying to sleep). My hotel was small but nice and superbly located. I found it easy to get anywhere from there, mostly on foot, but a U-bahn stop was very closeby and convenient. I only got lost once and it was because I was "off the map." Even then I found my way fairly quickly.
There were many highlights during the trip - too many to name them all! I enjoyed all the churches and museums, the food was terrific and the locals were all very nice. The first day was super hot, the second day was a bit milder, and the third day was almost cold - definitely windy - but absolutely beautiful.
I went to art museums, mostly, but also took the time for two other somewhat peculiar museums: the criminal museum and the clock museum. The 'Kriminalmuseum' was pretty far away from the main part of the city, but it was a beautiful morning on Saturday when I set out on my journey. I took the U-bahn and walked about a half a mile or so to get there. It was as if I had stepped into the twilight zone. The museum is in an old house with winding hallways and stairs, which is creepy in itself. The displays were all described in German, so I was given a photocopied handout sheet that gave me the VERY abridged version of each exhibit. There were about 20 rooms, and each had very disturbing objects and photos on display. In some cases, they had the actual weapons used in murders and the skulls of some of the criminals and victims. Yuck! Also, I was the only person in there, so it was EXTRA creepy. The clock museum had about a million old clocks and watches in it, and although I did enjoy it, I could have saved the admission price for something better. For example, the Bratwurst I ate immediately after the clock museum was far better and only cost €3!
I saved a visit to the Hundertwasserhaus apartments for last, and they were truly amazing. It looked like a combination of Beetlejuice and Dr. Seuss - totally bizarre. I wish I lived there!
All in all, it was a wonderful trip. I am going to rest as much as possible over the next four days... Friday I'm off to Stockholm!

No comments: