Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday on the Town

I heard there was a good Mexican restaurant in town, so I got ready and headed out for lunch at about 1:30 today. It had been a sunny morning, but as usual, as soon as I left my place, it looked like this:

It started raining as I turned the corner for the bus stop, then I had to run and catch the bus. It was really pouring out there, as it usually does when I go to O'Connell Street, so I had to pull the umbrella out as soon as I got off the bus. I quickly discovered that the bottom of my flip flops had zero traction as I began to slip around immediately upon hitting the ground.The streets have marble tiles in some spots around there, so it's like walking around in a flooded bathroom. I somehow managed to avoid falling, but several times had to correct my footing after sliding around for a second.

I found Taco Taco in the Epicurean Food Hall, which is like a food court in a mall without the mall. It has Greek, Japanese, Italian, Turkish and Asian Fusion restaurants and even a fish n' chips place in it. I'll be back for the tacos and to check out the rest! After my lunch the rain was gone. I was going to catch the bus but it took forever so I walked 2 km to the National Gallery, which is near Merrion Square.


The gallery was amazing, and huge! I enjoyed walking through its many halls of beautiful paintings - including 'The Taking of Christ' by Caravaggio, which I studied in my Art History classes. I walked then to the National Museum, but after I walked in and saw all the cool stuff and knew I only had about 45 minutes before it closed, I decided to come back another day.

Exhausted, I walked about half a km to the LUAS and called it a day. I'm now doing the usual main activity of every weekend - laundry!

No comments: