Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A diagnosis... finally

After many years of mysterious knee pain, I have been diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome (PFS). This was the cause of my accident in Paris, which could be 'damage to MCL (medial collateral ligament) and meniscus.' I have been asked by my physiotherapist to have the knee scanned to provide them with more information/confirmation on the extent of the injury. I am also wearing a 'tubigrip' cuff over my knee to try and reduce the inflammation and some tape for further support. She recommended some exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee, which is supposed to help relieve pressure within the knee. I am also supposed to avoid lots of walking for a little while until this thing starts to heal.
Not great news. Since walking is my main mode of transportation, it's a bit discouraging. Plus, I worry this could impact my travel plans. The physio said not to write off my trip to Switzerland later this month just yet, but we'll have to see how it goes. I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, but right now I feel low. Boooooooo.

No comments: